Monday 2 August 2010

A Foggy Day (In London Town).






Yes that is the title of a Michael Buble song and no I am not in London. But that doesn't mean that Cambridge is any different. Today was one of those "four season" weather days. It was alright, then rained, and by the afternoon it had cleared up to be a beautiful sunny day.

Toto, I don't think we're in California anymore.

Not to mention, we took a small tour of Cambridge at 9 in the morning, even though I woke up promptly at 6 because of jetlag. Fun. There are lots of shops around and a Farmer's Market sort of deal going on and there was with one stand with amazing looking bread. I love bread. I'm so glad the English do as well. And so I did some grocery shopping and the usual and let me just say, they are obsessed with the "3 for 2" deal here. It's been in every shop I've seen! There are so many bakeries and pastry shops around that I wonder how the British aren't heavy but then I remember that they bike and walk everywhere as compared to the autocentric America. Maybe I'll start adapting some of their good habits. So while walking around, I took what felt like a million pictures and I fell even more in love with the buildings. Let me share some Cambridge facts with you:

-Did you know that The University of Cambridge is the second-oldest university in the English speaking world? It was formed in 1209, which makes the university over 800 years old.
-The university has produced some of the world's most famous scientists and mathematicians which include: Isacc Newton, Charles Darwin, William Harvey, Francis Watson, James Crick and Stephen Hawking.
-The college is home to approximately 600 students and Pembroke's performance ranks among the highest of all the Cambridge colleges.

Tonight was also the first formal dinner and it was a fancy four course meal that had us Americans confused over which fork to use and what we were supposed to eat. I suggest we bring this type of eating style over to America so it can be a more common practice in the colleges. The dinner also came with red wine and white wine, which were both absolutely delicious. I love the tradition of simply drinking with dinner but some other American students don't quite understand that you don't drink to get incoherent and one student was getting up quite a bit and talking very loudly. I hope very much that other Britains don't judge the rest of us by a few people's bad behavior. In general, I am beginning to love the culture and the people. To add minutes to a calling card they say "Top Off" and also say phrases like "Are you keen to...". It's so interesting just to talk to someone and hear how they say things differently.

I had my first class in British Documentary Filmmaking and it was quite fun! I didn't quite know what to expect but we watched a short education film called "London Can Take It!" which is a propoganda film about London during World War II. Quite interesting. Tomorrow morning I have The Science of Crime and Criminal Justice at 9 nine in the morning. WOO! Thursday, I leave for Edinburgh, Scotland which I am very excited for. A few students here are thinking about going to Ireland for one of the weekends, which I would love to do. So many possibilities but so little time!

2 comments:

  1. wow there's so much history!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make me hate my life. wine drinking...four course meals...BREAD...3 for 2 deals! jealousssssss

    ReplyDelete