Tuesday 24 August 2010

This is the life.





As the program end is approaching (next week!) I am starting to reflect on what I've done here in the UK. And panic. Seriously panic. I've never been so happy in a different country and my family loves to travel, so it's not like I don't have experience in new places. I'm really dreading the day I have to leave, and I might just cry. It's been such a wonderful experience and I feel like I haven't gotten to know the people or the area well enough!

Today I had my first "afternoon tea" and let me say, it was fabulous. I had some tea with lemon and brown sugar and some cute little sandwiches and a REAL ENGLISH SCONE. I've never had a real scone before and let me say, it was delectable. I'm definitely doing that again. I also got the chance to talk to the program directors Charlie and Andy. Charlie is my British Documentary Filmmaker and is Scottish, but unlike the other Scots I met, I can actually understand him. It was good fun and I might want to sneak into the one on Thursday. Hmm. I also discovered this clothing store here named Primark and I'm going to be honest, I've gone a bit crazy. The prices are insanely low and the clothing is ridiculously cute. What more can a girl ask for? So I've bought some dresses, a pair of shoes, and best of all A LEATHER JACKET. I've been wanting one for forever!!

Tonight was port and cheese night and we had some of the best cheese from the area! There was one similar to Brie cheese but it was very salty and my favorite was the single Gloucester. So delicious! There were 80 pounds worth of cheese and we ate most of it. The port on the other hand, is a different story. I've never had port and was under the impression that it was similar to wine. It isn't. It's 20% alcohol and very strong. Basically, most of the American students ended up downing it, which hurt our program assistant's feelings (as it would, being a traditional English man).

This Thursday I am going to go experience a "real English breakfast". I'm absolutely excited. I haven't had a real hot breakfast since that ONE time at a hostel and it wasn't very good but I was still so happy to have a hot breakfast so I forgave them. Also, it was a beautiful hostel. Only, there was a sign outside our balcony that said: WARNING. BALCONY IS STRUCTURALLY UNSTABLE. PLEASE DO NOT STAND ON IT. Or something along those lines. Who makes a structurally unstable balcony?!??

Tomorrow is our second to last formal dinner. Afterward we are going to a foam party at the same club just a few blocks down. We will see what happens. There tends to be some European creepos, just the same as any other club (minus the European part).

My group and I are in the midst of our documentary for class, which is about the cultural differences of the Japanese students and American students abroad, with the program assistants in the middle. It's been quite a bit of work and taken up some time, but I'm very excited for the end result!

I will post up London pictures and stories tomorrow if I have the time! I am very excited to share the weekend with you but for now I will just leave you with some pictures.

These pictures are from the various colleges around Cambridge University taken on last Friday. I've never really explored any of them and just stuck with Cambridge but they really are worth seeing. Especially King's College Chapel. It literally took my breath away when I walked in. The stained glass windows and the ceiling detail is immaculate. Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment