Monday 16 August 2010

Tourist Confusion.




Because I didn't do anything interesting today (thanks to me being a sickie and also midterms. Boo.) I will indulge you all in a little funny story that happened this past weekend in Bath.

At around eight o'clock pm the girls and I were waiting for the tour to start after a delicious dinner at a Latin American restaurant, don't judge. They were all sitting down but I was standing up when a guy approaches me and says quite loudly, KONICHIWA. Of course, I was a bit offended because

a. Not all Asian tourists are Japanese.        and
b. I'm not Japanese.

So the first thing I say to this fellow is, You know we're not Japanese right? We're American. Of course then he is shocked by the realization that an Asian person could be anything BUT Japanese. He seriously said Konichiwa to us approximately three times. Even after we insisted we were American and NOT Japanese. Not that there is anything wrong with Japanese, but when someone tells you something three times, the point should start to sink in. Anyways, we recognized him earlier from a group of rowdy men outside a bar who were awkwardly wrestling each other in the middle of the street and pretending to shoot each other with imaginary guns. Not very mature. Oh did I mention he was drunk? He said that he was from Bristol and that the reason he couldn't tell us apart was because he "didn't get out very often".

Also, I forgot to mention that out of the six of us there, three of the  girls were Caucasian. What a smart man.

Maybe I should give him a little more credit. But then again......maybe not. When one of the "Asian girls" told him we were Chinese he then said, OH MT. FUJI?! To which I replied, "That's STILL in Japan."

They say that Americans have terrible geography, but it seems to me that the Brits might not be that great themselves...

Overall, it was quite the hilarious experience. It's not everyday that a drunk Brit from Bristol throws his arm around you and yells KONICHIWA. Pretty much made my Bath experience. Thank you England!

No comments:

Post a Comment