Wednesday 4 August 2010

Rain rain, don't go away, I know you'll be back another day...






For a SoCal girl I am actually really loving this weather. I've always loved the rain because of how beautiful it makes everything look and that clean fresh smell afterwards. Thankfully, the rain is so abundant here and not a rarity! Unfortunately it means that I don't own much weather appropriate clothing. Today was another eventful day for a few reasons.

First off, we had a "seminar" for our Criminology class, which is the equivalent of a college field trip. Here in England, there is something called CCTV. CCTV has public cameras that monitor all major areas for major and minor crime in a way that is very George Orwell's 1984 but the difference is that no, our televisions are not reverse cameras and there are many safety regulations in place to protect us from them. For example, CCTV controllers are not allowed to rewind and "troll" through old footage. Another example is that controllers cannot look into bedrooms of people's houses and if the camera turns in the direction a big black box blocks the screen. The man in charge informed us that CCTV saves money on investigations (since the crime is already caught on tape) and has lead to many positive outcomes. The controllers also showed us examples of crime caught on camera, which was actually quite disturbing. In one, a man was reported for acting suspicious so the controllers followed him and saw him simply walking around the marketplace with a canvas bag. However, they pointed out that he had a MIRROR in his bag and was specifically walking around women in skirts so he could see up it! Another example was when a man simply punched a woman in the face for no apparent reason. There was also quite a bit of drunk debauchery and lots of other clips. I enjoyed the seminar very much but I'm still not very sure how I feel about having something like this for the United States. I asked the controller what was the most interesting thing he had ever seen on camera (or the juiciest) and he said, "The obvious" which made me think for a bit and then I replied "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh".

Tonight we went to the local pub The Green King/The Bath House and I enjoyed a Pimm's cup for the first time. It was probably one of the most delicious things I have ever drank and tasted like fruity apple juice. The bartender informed us that it is fortified wine, but unfortunately it is not popular in the States.

The other part that I am very much excited for is the trip to Edinburgh, Scotland! It is a five day trip and it coincides with the famous Edinburgh arts festival, which I am absolutely excited to attend. We are all going to stay in a hostel, and that should be an interesting experience because I have never been in one. However, since I am unsure about whether there is internet access in a hostel, I will not be bringing my computer and will not be able to update for the next five days. Much apologies and have a great week!

P.S. I wish I knew how to photograph better and also that I had a better camera. I loved that picture of the baby and her father because she was simply walking around Pembroke barefoot in the rain. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment