Friday 13 August 2010

Stratford-Upon-Avon






Yesterday I spent approximately half a day in the city of Stratford-Upon-Avon, the birthplace of William Shakespeare. Since we arrived late, many of the shops were about to close and there wasn't as much that we could do, but one place that I did get to see was the house in which Shakespeare was born in and grew up. The town itself was quite lovely and had a certain wonderful feel about it. The weather was also quite odd and it began to pour randomly which caused us to seek shelter in a restaurant called The Food of Love. We also did a lot of touristy souvenir shopping because a lot of us happened to be Shakespeare fans.

That night, we saw a performance of Shakespeares' The Winter Tale by the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) at the Courtyard Theatre. It was a brilliant performance, however long it was, and though I didn't understand a lot of it, the theatrics and many elements of the show were quite nice. After the show, it was a two hour bus ride back to Pembroke so we didn't get back until one in the morning. And then I had class at nine this morning. Oh did I mention I just got sick? Perfect. So typical!

Anyways, tomorrow we are leaving for a two day trip to Stonehedge and Bath, which should be quite interesting. I will try to come back with a lot of beautiful pictures to show!

1 comment:

  1. The "Infinite Monkey Theorem" states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

    Since you're doing such a good job sharing your experiences over in England, I just thought I'd share a little something too.

    ReplyDelete